Aritra Bera, Shri
Division: Finfish Culture Division
Specialization: Fish reproductive endocrinology & stress physiology
After taking masters in Aquaculture in 2010 and PhD in Aquaculture in 2016 I am working in CIBA since 2014 on development of brackishwater aquaculture. I currently work at Fish Culture Division (FCD) in CIBA. I have worked on finfish breeding, basic biology, reproductive endocrinology and polyculture in farmer’s pond. I have contributed to artificial breeding of Milkfish (Chanos chanos). I have interests in application of germline stem cell and sex determination in finfish breeding, stress physiology of brackishwater candidate species in context of climate change and improvement of recirculatory aquaculture systems for early maturation of fnfishes having long life.
- Brackishwater aquaculture
- Application of assisted reproductive techniques (ARTs) in finfish breeding
- Reproductive endocrinology and stress physiology
Current Research Projects (3 important ones):
|1||Evaluation of reproductive biology, breeding, larval biology and seed production of candidate finfish species for Brackishwater aquaculture development||Institute|
|2||Development and refinement of finfish culture technologies for sustainable brackishwater aquaculture development||Institute|
|3||Biotechnological interventions and application of bioinformatic tools for improvement of brackishwater fish and shellfish||Institute|
- Awarded NIBB international internship for carrying out advanced research in fish germline stem cell at Laboratory of Molecular Genetics for Reproduction in National Institute for Basic Biology (NIBB), Okazaki, Japan, during 2012 in the topic ‘Effect of hypoxia on germline stem cells and sex differentiation in medaka (Oryzias latipes) [ fully sponsored]
- Awarded ICAR, Junior Research Fellowship for post -graduation study in Aquaculture during 2008-2010
- Outstanding performance(B.F.Sc) award and medal of recognition by teachers association(WBUAFS)
- Award for best publication of the year (Highest Impact factor): ICAR-CIFE, Mumbai. 2015
- 1st Class First. (Gold Medalist) in Bachelor Degree (B.F.Sc) in the year 2008
- Certificate of Achievement from Alltech for the paper on ‘Alternatives to antibiotic growth promotants in aquaculture’ during Alltech’s Yong Animal Scientist Award, USA, 2008
- Sawant PB, Bera A*, Dasgupta S, Sawant BT, Chadha NK, Pal AK (2014) p53 Dependent Apoptotic Cell Death Induces Embryonic Malformation in Carassius auratus under Chronic Hypoxia. PLOS ONE 9(7): e102650. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0102650 * is corresponding author
- Bera, A., Dasgupta, S., Sawant, P.B., Chadha, N.K., Pal, A.K. (2011) Cyclic long term hypoxia impairs endocrine and reproductive functions in gold fish, Carassius auratus. Indian J. Sci.Technol.Vol.4 No.S8. 243-244.
- Bera, A., Sawant, P.B., Pal, A.K., Chadha, N.K., and Dasgupta, S. (2010) Responses of hypoxia on gold fish reproduction. Indian Aqua-Invest Congress and Expo-2010. CIFE, Mumbai; May 26-28.PP.65.
- Bera, A., Sawant.P.B, Chadha.N.K, Pal, A.K and Dasgupta.S. (2010) Heamato-Immunological Responses of Adult Gold Fish to Long -Term Cyclic Hypoxia. 21st All India Congress of Zooloy, CIFRI, Kolkata; December 21-23, 2010, PP. 37-38.
- Sukumaran, K., Kailasam, M., Makesh, M.,Biswas, G., Kumar, P., Bera, A., Mandal, B., Rekha, M. U., Subburaj, R., Thiagarajan, G. and Vijayan, K. K. (2015). Scope of low volume cages in open water brackishwater finfish aquaculture. 5th International Symposium onCage Aquaculture in Asia 25-28 November, 2015 Kochi. PP. 76.
- Aritra Bera, Vikas Phulia, Charan, R. and Neha Saxena. (2013) Alternatives to Antibiotic Growth Promotants in Aquaculture . Aqua International. .PP. 32-36.
- A., Mandal, M., Sukumaran. K., Makesh, M., Subburaj R., Thiagarajan, G., Rajababu, D. and Kailasam, M. (2015) Improved growth and reduced cannibalism in Asian seabass Lates calcarifer fed with estradiol enrichedfeed. 5th International Symposium onCage Aquaculture in Asia 25-28 November, 2015 Kochi. PP. 119
- A., Mandal, B., Kailasam, M. (2015). Biology and induced breeding in milkfish Chanos chanos.Training Manual on ‘Seed Production and Culture of Brackishwater Finfishes’ . ICAR-CIBA. PP: 13-20
- Kailasam, M. , Sukumaran, K., Bera, A., Makesh, M., Mandal,B., Rekha, M. U., Kumar, P., Biswas,G., Subburaj, R., Thiagarajan, G. and Vijayan, K. K. (2015). Satellite nursery rearing of Asian seabass Lates calcarifer : bridging the gap between hatchery and the farmer. 5th International Symposium onCage Aquaculture in Asia 25-28 November, 2015 Kochi. 88
- Mandal,B., Bera, A., Makesh, M., Sukumaran, K., Rekha M.U.,Thiagarajan,G., Subburaj, R and M. Kailasam (2016) Effect of different light spectrum on Asian seabass (Lates calcarifer) larval cannibalism and growth.11th National symposium on innovations in coastal agriculture-current status and potential under changing environment. 14 - 17 January. Bhubaneswar. PP. 169-170.