Dr. M. Shashi Shekhar
Division: Nutrition, Genetics and Biotechnology Division
Specialization: Animal Sciences
Phone: +91- 044 – 24618817 Ext:301
Fax: +91- 044 – 24610311
After taking masters in Animal Biotechnology in 1990 and PhD in Biotechnology in 2005 I am working in CIBA since 1994 on Aquaculture Biotechnology. I currently work in division of Nutrition Genetics and Biotechnology in CIBA. My main interests are to study host pathogen interactions related to shrimp and fish diseases , molecular diagnostics, molecular genetics, genomics and transgenics.
- Aquaculture Biotechnology
- Molecular diagnosis and pathogenesis fish and shell fish disease
Current Research Projects:
|1||Poverty alleviation through prevention and future control of the two major socioeconomically-important diseases in Asian aquaculture||DBT|
|2||Whole Genome sequencing of Indian white shrimp Penaeus indicus||ICAR|
|3||Biotechnological interventions and application of bioinformatic tools for improvement of brackishwater fish and shellfish||ICAR|
- UNESCO/BAC Fellowship.
- DBT overseas associateship 2006-07
- M.S. Shekhar, J. Kiruthika, S. Rajesh, A.G. Ponniah (2014). High salinity induced expression profiling of differentially expressed genes in shrimp (Penaeus monodon). Molecular Biology Reports. Volume 41, Issue 9, pp 6275-6289.
- Shekhar M. S., Sahoo P.K., Dillikumar M., Abhilipsa Das (2011). Cloning, expression and sequence analysis of Macrobrachium rosenbergii nodavirus genes: Indian isolate. Aquaculture Research, 42, (12), 1778-1788.
- Shekhar, M.S., DilliKumar & G. Gopikrishna (2010). Development of immunodot blot assay for detection of white spot syndrome virus infection in shrimps (Penaeus monodon). Aquaculture Research 41: (11) 1683–1690.
- Shekhar M.S and Yuanan Lu (2009). Application of Nucleic-acid-based Therapeutics for Viral Infections in Shrimp Aquaculture. Mar Biotechnol 11:1–9.
- Shekhar M.S. and Ravichandran, P.(2007). Comparison of white spot syndrome virus structural gene sequences from India with those at GenBank. Aquaculture Research, 38, 321-324.
- M.S. Shekhar, A. Gomathi, G Gopikrishna, A.G. Ponniah (2015). Gene expression profiling in gill tissues of White spot syndrome virus infected black tiger shrimp Penaeus monodon by DNA microarray. Virus Disease, 26 (1), pp 9-18.
- M.S. Shekhar, A.G. Ponniah (2015). Recent insights into host pathogen interaction in white spot syndrome virus infected penaeid shrimp. Journal of Fish Diseases. 38 (7), 599–612
- M.S. Shekhar, J. Kiruthika, A.G. Ponniah (2013). Identification and expression analysis of differentially expressed genes from shrimp (Penaeus monodon) in response to low salinity stress. Fish & Shellfish Immunology Volume 35, Issue 6, 1957–1968