Sherly Tomy. Ms. Dr
Division: Nutrition, Genetics and Biotechnology Division
Specialization: Molecular Endocrinology
Phone: +91- 044 – 24618817 Ext:431
Fax: +91- 044 – 24610311
After taking masters in Fish & Fishery Science (Mariculture) in 1997, Ph.D. in Fish & Fishery Science in 2002 and a post-doctoral experience in Taiwan (2004 to 2009), I have been working in CIBA since September 20009 on molecular endocrinology of penaeid shrimps and finfish. I have worked on the molecular reproductive endocrinology of finfish and crustacean. I have contributed to the understanding of the molecular pathway regulation vitellogenesis and development of induce maturation protocols alternative to eyestalk ablation in penaeid shrimps. I have interest in understanding the neuroendocrine pathways regulating reproduction and its application to fish culture.
- Molecular Endocrinology regulating reproduction of crustacean and finfish.
- Development of strategies to induce maturation of captive stocks.
Current Research Projects:
|1||Molecular mechanisms of Gonad-Inhibiting Hormone action on the control of egg maturation in the penaeid shrimp, Penaeus monodon||DBT|
|2||Biotechnological interventions and application of bioinformatic tools for improvement of brackishwater fish and shellfish||Institute|
- Member of the Institute Management Committee of National Bureau of Fish Genetic Resources
- Postdoctoral Fellowship from National Science Council, Taiwan (2004-2009)
- SRF (ICAR) for Ph.D. Fish & Fishery Science (1997-2001)
- 1994-1997 JRF (ICAR) for M.Sc. Fish & Fishery Science (Mariculture)
- Wu GC, Tomy S, Lee MF, Lee YH, Yueh WS, Lin CJ, Lau EL, Chang CF. Sex differentiation and sex change in the protandrous black porgy, Acanthopagrus schlegeli. General and Comparative Endocrinology 2010 167(3):417-21.
- Tomy S, Wu GC, Huang HR, Chang CF Age-dependent differential expression of genes involved in steroid signalling pathway in the brain of protandrous black porgy, Acanthopagrus schlegeli. Developmental Neurobiology 2009 69(5):299-313.
- Tomy S, Chang YM, Chen YH, Cao JC, Wang TP, Chang CF. Salinity effects on the expression of osmoregulatory genes in the euryhaline black porgy Acanthopagrus schlegeli. General and Comparative Endocrinology 2010 2009 161(1):123-32.
- Wu GC, Tomy S, Nakamura M, Chang CF. Dual roles of cyp19a1a in gonadal sex differentiation and development in the protandrous black porgy, Acanthopagrus schlegeli. Biology of Reproduction 2008 79(6):1111-20.
- Tomy S, Wu GC, Huang HR, Dufour S, Chang CF. Developmental expression of key steroidogenic enzymes in the brain of protandrous black porgy fish, Acanthopagrus schlegeli. Journal of Neuroendocrinology 2007 19(8):643-55
- Merlin, D.L. Mohanlal, C.P. Balasubramanian, Tomy Sherly, T. Subramoniam, J. Syamadayal, P. Ravichandran, A.G. Ponniah, C. Gopal & K.K. Vijayan (2015): Induction of vitellogenesis and reproductive maturation in tiger shrimp, Penaeus monodon by 17ß-estradiol and 17α-hydroxyprogesterone: in vivo and in vitro studies. Invertebrate Reproduction & Development, DOI:10.1080/07924259.2015.1051192
- Sherly Tomy, Subhendu Kumar Otta, K. Vinaya Kumar, A. G. Ponniah. Possible effect of white spot syndrome virus (WSSV) infection on reproduction associated genes in the Indian white shrimp, Fenneropenaeus indicus (H. Milne-Edwards, 1837). Indian Journal of Geo-Marine Sciences (IJMS)-Accepted
- Sherly Tomy, A. G. Ponniah. Sterility and its implication in tilapia aquaculture: a review. CIBA e-publication Series No. 28